Safety Committee Minutes
Safety Committee Meeting
October 20, 2022
The Atchison County Safety Committee met on Thursday, October 20, 2022 via the Zoom platform and in person. Those members in attendance were:
Eric Noll, Commissioner, Wesley Lanter, EM/IT, Kimberly Glover, R & B/NW, Teresa Thomas, Treasurer, Melissa Smith, HR, Sunney Beed, Appraiser, Kelly Johansen, Sheriff, Shelley Campbell, Reg. of Deeds, Kalee Vanderweide, County Clerk, Mark Zeltner, Finance Director, Cathy Crockett, Community Corrections, Kim Pruett, Joint Communications.
Minutes were recorded by Kimberly Glover.
Teresa Thomas, Vice Chairperson, called the meeting to order.
Minutes of September 22, 2022 Meeting – Kalee Vanderweide made a motion to accept the minutes with no corrections noted. Melissa Smith seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- Road & Bridge: Employee was brooming a road; as employee thought dust on the road would cause an accident. A car struck the broom from behind. Employee was put in physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks. This is ongoing. No change for today’s meeting.
- EMS: Employee fell backwards, hurt hand trying to catch their fall.
- Road & Bridge: Employee blacked out while driving. No injuries to himself or anyone else. Employee was sent for initial consult and determination was not work related.
- Maintenance: Employee fell off ladder. Bruising on right ribs, hip and hand. Did not go for consult, reported that they were fine.
- EMS: Employee twisted ankle while moving to assist with CPR on a patient. Follow up appointment scheduled.
- The tenth County W.A.Y. nomination was voted on by all committee members present. The winner for the month of October is Kimberly Glover from Road & Bridge.
- Discussion was opened at September 20, 2022 meeting by Melissa Smith regarding the County WAY and how nominations are not safety related. When the program was first introduced, it was voted that any nominations would be accepted. At this point, some committee members feel that the nominations are not including any safety aspects and are concerned about using Safety Committee funds for employee appreciation. The suggestion was that while employee appreciation is a good thing, how do we justify using safety committee funding? Feedback including possibly changing the name to be more geared towards safety; updating the form to require some kind of safety aspect in order to be nominated. It was agreed to continue out this year with the remaining nominations that have been made and we will continue to discuss how to proceed with the program.
- Melissa Smith made a motion to table this discussion due to Jodi Moore, Safety Committee President, not being present at today’s meeting. Shelley Campbell seconded that motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- One nomination was removed from the list as they are no longer an Atchison County employee.
- Melissa Smith stated that she got the KERIT Facility Inspection Reports back. Melissa will email those findings to each department head so that they may correct any deficiencies. Overall opinion from inspector was that Atchison County has done a good job.
- Mark Zeltner stated that we had only spent $75.04 out of the Misc. budget (147). We have $300 remaining in the main County General fund.
The next meeting has been set for Thursday, November 17, 2022.
There being no further business, Wesley Lanter made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Kalee Vanderweide seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.