- Public Safety
- Safety Committee
- Safety Committee Minutes
Safety Committee Minutes
Safety Committee Meeting
January 19, 2023
The Atchison County Safety Committee met on Thursday, January 19, 2023 via the Zoom platform and in person. Those members in attendance were: Kimberly Glover, R & B/NW; Cathy Crockett, Community Corrections; Jodi Moore, HR; Kim Pruett, Joint Communications; Kelly Johansen, SO; Teresa Thomas, Treasurer; Brian Oswalt, Maintenance; Wesley Lanter, Emergency Management; Melissa Smith, HR; Debbie Thompson, Appraiser; Sunney Swanson, Appraiser;
Michelle Phillips, Clerk and Kalee Vanderweide, Clerk
Minutes were recorded by Kimberly Glover.
Jodi Moore, Chairperson, called the meeting to order.
Minutes of December 15, 2022 Meeting – Wes Lanter made a motion to accept the minutes with no corrections noted. Melissa Smith seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
- EMS: Employee twisted ankle while moving to assist with CPR on a patient. Follow up appointment scheduled. HR reached out to Department Head but was unable to reach them for an update at this time. Cleared
- Maintenance: A hammer fell off of a ladder and struck an employee on the head. Employee did have a cut but refused medical treatment. Cleared
- Maintenance: An employee stepped on a board that had a nail sticking out of it. Employee refused medical treatment. Cleared
- Senior Village: Employee was assisting with the transfer of a patient from bed to wheelchair and strained lower back. Follow up appointment in two weeks.
There were no nominations received for this month.
We received one nomination for County W.A.Y. All members present voted and the January winner is Brian Oswalt, Maintenance. Congratulations Brian!!!
- Discussion was held regarding how to handle any months that we do not receive nominations for Safety Star and/or County W.A.Y. Kim Glover made a motion to carryover until the following month. If we do not have any nominations for a particular month, we will hold that month’s gift until we do have nominations and then vote accordingly for any open months. Wes Lanter seconded that motion. Motion approved unanimously.
- Kelly Johansen mentioned that 2 of the older gift cards that we had given out last year did not have the full $10.00 on them. It was determined that it may have been because they had sat for so long and the funding was depleted by the card carrier. Kim Glover will follow up with those individuals and correct that error.
- 2023 Election of Officers: Cathy Crockett made a motion to keep all officers the same for 2023. Kalee Vanderweide seconded that motion. Motion approved unanimously.
- Jodi Moore announced that Commissioner Eric Noll will continue to sit on the Safety Committee for the 2023 term.
- Jodi Moore shared that she, along with Teresa Thomas and Melissa Smith, recently met with Travis Bennett to review the 2022 KERIT Scorecard. One area that we have not received points was SOP/JHA’s. Kim Glover did submit one for the Durapatcher and has agreed to work up two more and submit them so that we can get those additional points. The second area was the physical fitness program. This includes mandatory participation of public safety personnel and a formal assessment or ongoing fitness program. This is directed towards law enforcement. We have not received those points in the past so Kelly Johansen has volunteered to look into that within his department to see if they would be able to put something together to assist with Atchison County gaining those points going forward.
- Road and Bridge recently held OSHA 10 & First Aid/CPR training. Melissa Smith stated that we could use those trainings for 1st quarter.
- Safety Day has been tabled by the commission until further discussion. One idea that was thrown out was for the Safety Committee to assist with organization for that event. This would be beneficial for several reasons including; having different perspectives on training ideas, more people to help with getting everything set up and having trainings directed towards all department’s needs. All members were on board with assisting with that if the Commission is agreeable.
- Discussion was initiated regarding the KCAMP Risk Management Achievement Award. The items required for this award are due annually by January 31st for the previous year. We talked about the importance of submitting the required items to the Safety Committee throughout the year rather than scrambling to find all of the information at the end of the year. Some of these items include copies of any training sign in sheets, copies of any Online U trainings, copies of any facility inspection forms, annual list of employees with county driving capabilities, copies of any KAC trainings, copy of jail audit, copy of law officer and corrections personnel trainings and copy of technology policy.
- Melissa Smith brought up 2nd quarter training. Wes Lanter suggested tornado drill in May or June. Melissa Smith made a motion to have a tornado drill for 2nd quarter training. Teresa Thomas seconded that motion. Motion approved unanimously.
The next meeting has been set for Thursday, February 16, 2023.
There being no further business, Kalee Vanderweide made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Wes Lanter seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.