District Court

The following information is available at the District Court:

  • Marriage records – 1855 to present
  • Probate records – 1855 to present
  • Naturalization records – 1858 to 1953
  • Costs:
    • $ .25 per copy
    • $ 1.00 per certification
    • $12.00 per hour of research

Marriage License Information

Application for a marriage license must be completed by either person at the district court office. There is a three day waiting period before you can pick up the license. The license will expire six months from the date it was issued. The fee for a license is $85.50. Cash only. No checks. Minors must be accompanied by parent or guardian, and application must be approved by the judge. The original copy is then sent to Topeka, Kansas to be put in a permanent file. Parties married May 1, 1913 to present can obtain a certified copy of their marriage license from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics in Topeka, Kansas. Phone number 785-296-1400.  For more information, you can visit their website at http://www.kdheks.gov/vital .

Small Claims Court Information

The purpose of small claims court is to provide informal procedure for people to settle small legal disagreement and collections without an attorney. There are no attorneys allowed, unless an attorney is suing someone. In that the case the other party is allowed to have an attorney as well. Each party is allowed to go to court and present their case to the district judge. After the evidence is provided by each party, the judge then rules on the case. 


  • Claim must be less than $4,000
  • Must be 18 years old to file claim or have claim filed against you
  • Cannot file more than 20 claims in one year
  • The person filing the claim must fill out a Petition
  • The person being sued must be served an official summons notice to appear
  • The person filing the claim must furnish the address of defendant.

If the claim meets all these requirements then you are able to go to the District Court Office and file the claim. A summons and defendant’s claim will be issued to the sheriff for service on the defendant. If you settle the case before the hearing date, notify the court at once so that the case can be dismissed.